Eating Disorders: How to help yourself
- Learn as much as you can about eating disorders.
- Admit that you have an eating disorder and that you need help.
- Tell someone about your problem, and ask for help.
- Join a self-help group.
- Understand that asking for help is a sign of strength, not weakness.
- Try to recognize why you have the problem.
- Recognize the importance of good nutrition and moderate exercise.
- Try relaxation techniques.
- Seek professional help – Student Health Center, University Counseling Services, a psychologist, psychiatrist, nutritionist (any professional who specializes in eating disorders)
- Be patient! Recovery takes time; but it is worth it!!
Adapted from Food for Thought, Randolph-Macon Women’s College.