Limitations to Services


In order to best meet the needs of as many students as possible, there is a limit to the type and amount of services available. Individual therapy at UCS is typically delivered through biweekly appointments on a short-term, goal directed basis. Neither Truman State University nor the Kirksville community offers comprehensive mental health care. There are no psychiatric inpatient facilities in Kirksville. Students presenting with mental health conditions that require the treatment of specialists, involve multiple or complicated diagnoses, and/or exhibit symptoms that aren’t well controlled by medication, may not find the expertise or availability of services they need at Truman or in the community. In these cases, we suggest students initiate and/or maintain contact with healthcare professionals in larger metropolitan areas where a wide variety of specialists and services may be available. UCS maintains a local referral guide and can assist students in finding appropriate services in more distant areas.

UCS may refuse or limit treatment, including Assessment Services, with the following individuals:

  • Individuals who demonstrate a serious lack of motivation or engagement in treatment, as evidenced by poor attendance/tardiness to appointments, lack of follow-through on recommendations, or who are unwilling to address the disorder in question.
  • Students who are so functionally impaired as to be unable to function successfully in an academic environment (including attending and participating in courses).
  • Individuals who are already receiving counseling services from another provider and do not end that treatment or are not willing to sign appropriate releases so that services can be coordinated between care providers.
  • Individuals who need more intensive or extensive treatment than can be provided at UCS (e.g. multiple weekly appointments, uninterrupted long-term care, and/or frequent between session supports).
  • Individuals with a history of longstanding, seriously maladaptive interpersonal behaviors that result in severe relationship problems which hinder effective work in session or disrupt the learning environment for other students.
  • Individuals with a recent history of suicide attempts, severe self-injury/suicidal gestures, or multiple psychiatric hospitalizations.
  • Individuals with significant or chronic disordered eating symptoms which require intensive outpatient or residential treatment and whose symptoms pose medical danger.
  • Individuals with significant or chronic substance use which requires intensive outpatient or residential treatment, detox, or hospitalization or whose symptoms pose medical danger.
  • Individuals whose needs fall outside the clinical expertise of the Counseling services staff.
  • Individuals with active psychotic symptoms at risk for progressive deterioration of functioning and in need of intensive treatment for stabilization.
  • Individuals who engage in inappropriate, harassing, menacing, threatening or violent behaviors toward UCS staff or visitors of UCS.
  • Individuals who have not previously sought services and schedule an appointment for the sole purpose of seeking documentation for academic appeals and/or to support a request for medical withdrawal.
  • Individuals seeking services for the purpose of obtaining documentation for a third party which can include but are not limited to the following:
    • Court mandated treatment
    • Child Custody/Parenting/Adoption
    • Excuse or clearance for employment
    • Excuse or clearance to be excused from attending classes
    • Disability Claims
    • Employment and/or Military fitness
    • Fitness to participate in Study Abroad experiences
  • Individuals seeking any type of on-line and/or tele-therapy from a Truman employee. There may be opportunities to access these services through other contractors on campus. Truman employees will only provide therapy services at the McKinney Building University Counseling Services center.
  • Advice related to legal or other conflicts with Truman State University
  • Individuals seeking documentation for disability related accommodations from the University’s Disability Services Office. This includes academic, housing or any other accommodations provided through the University’s Disability Service Office.
  • Individuals seeking documentation for approval for emotional support animals, either for University-owned housing or for off-campus housing.